Let’s Make This
Give your favorite guy or grad a surprise gift tag featuring a likeness of him. Then add the hidden gift card inside the Zip Gift Tag for an even more memorable gift!
Begin by gathering your supplies. You will need:
Zip Gift Tag die
Making Faces die
Die cutting machine
i-Brush Blender Brushes
Flat Paint brush – about 1″ wide
Thick cardstock – white
Medium cardstock – kraft and black
Gift wrapping tissue paper – white
Distress Ink: Vintage Photo, Tea Dye and Salvaged Patina
- Don’t forget the Gift card!!!!!
Step 1 – Prep
- Pour a generous amount of liquid adhesive on the thick, white cardstock. Use a wide paint brush to spread a thin coat of adhesive to cover an area larger than the gift tag die.
- While the adhesive is wet, wrinkle the gift tissue paper and adhere it to the surface allowing for thick and thin wrinkles across the surface.
Step 2 – Ink
- Let the adhesive and tissue paper dry completely.
Once the surface is dry, use the i-Brush Blender Brushes to randomly apply the Distress inks to the tissue. Thicker layers of tissue will appear darker which will add more interest in the texture.
- Trim the inked surface so that it is large enough for the complete tag die but small enough to fit through your die cutting machine.
Step 3 – Die Cut
- Place the Zip Gift Tag die on the inked surface. Place the zipper die interchangeable piece near the top of the tag die. The zipper piece has the word “TOP” engraved on the back of the piece to indicate how to place it in the tag die.
Place the interchangeable sentiment piece in the small, horizontal opening in the tag die.
- Run this through your die cutting machine. You may need to run it through a couple of times since parts of the tissue paper may be thick.
- Die cut another tag shape from the kraft cardstock. Do not use any interchangeable pieces to create a solid tag shape.
- Select the hair style, facial hair and eye glass dies to customize your tag. Die cut from black cardstock.
Step 4 – Assemble
- Adhere the face in the middle of tag, below the zipper opening and above the sentiment.
Hand cut a 2 1/8″ x 5/8″ piece of black cardstock and adhere behind the sentiment on the back of the tag front.
- Have your gift card handy before adhering the tag shapes together.
- Apply a thin line of liquid adhesive around the back edges of the tag front. Carefully apply the adhesive close to the edges and do not apply any adhesive at the back edges of the zipper shape.
Place the gift card in the center of the kraft tag shape being careful to avoid the edges.
Place the tag front on top and press the edges to securely close the tag.
- Enjoy the surprise when the recipient pulls the zipper opening and finds the gift card inside!
Customize the faces to match the recipient using the various hair styles, facial hair and eyeglasses in the Making Faces die set. You can also customize the sentiment on the tag with the interchangeable words included in the Zip Gift Tag set.
Please share your makes with the hashtags: